Maintenance Tips For Tenants
24th July 2017
Many issues in your property can often be rectified with a simple fix.
The list below outlines some of the more common issues tenants face and advice on what you can do.
PLEASE ONLY ATTEMPT THESE FIXES IF IT IS SAFE TO SO.
Issue #1. No power
- Check your fuse box. There may have been an overload. Check whether safety switch has been activated. Resetting may be needed.
- Check appliances. Unplug all of them in the property. It is required to start the safety switch in the meter box again. Connect the fridge and turn on the power point, check the safety switch. If the safety switch clicks off then you know that there is a fault with the fridge and you need to get it repaired. Otherwise unplug the fridge and connect the laptop and continue to check all appliances until the faulty appliance is found.
- Contact your Electricity Company. There may be some troubles in the street.
Issue #2. No hot water
- Check whether there is enough pressure in your your hot water system.
- Check the fuse in the meter box.
- Check whether your pilot light has gone out. If you can’t reignite it on your own, it’s better to call a professional.
Issue #3. Lights are not working
- Try to replace the light bulb.
- Check your fuse box. If there is an overload the safety switch may need resetting.
Issue #4. Blocked sink
- If your sink is draining the water away too slowly, try using drain cleaner to free the blockage.
- Try to clear hairs and old soap from the sink, bath or shower. Try to pour boiling water down the drain, this will help to unclog blockage.
- Try to remove old food from the kitchen sink and pour boiling water down the drain.
Issue #5. Washing machine is broken
- Check whether the washing machine taps are turned on at the wall.
- Check whether appliance at the wall is turned on.
- Check the trip switch.
- Check whether the door is closing properly.
- If the machine has stopped working halfway through a cycle you may have overloaded the machine and make sure that it is not out of balance, try to remove some items before starting the cycle again.
Issue #6. Tumble Dryer is not working
- Dryers can automatically shut down due to overload of lint in the filter. Check whether the filter needs to be cleaned properly.
- If the dryer does not have an external vent, the condenser may be full of water and need emptying.