Here are some of the most frequently asked questions from Contract Holders (Tenants) before, during and after their time renting with us at Porters. We hope these help but if there are any other queries you may have please don't hesitate to give us a call 01656 766666. 


I'm looking for a rental property, where do I start? 


Before you do anything, work out your budget. Consider your current outgoings and how much money you have left each month for your rent. Remember when you find your ideal home, you will need your security deposit and first month’s rent before moving in. Next, the property size to suit your circumstances. Once you have done this, head to our website https://www.porters-uk.com/ check 'Our Latest Properties' for our currently available rentals and give us a call on 01656 766666 for an appointment. 


When I find a property I like, what do I need to apply? 


Firstly, you will need to have viewed the property in person. During your viewing you will have been given the required information to make an application. Complete your application and attach your proof of ID, address and credit score. Your application will be submitted for your consideration of the Landlord. 


I have a pet, will they be accepted?


This is a decision made by Landlords and is dealt with individually for each property. Please ask a member of staff for further information when booking your appointment. 


Why do I have to be referenced? 


Every applicant is referenced to ensure they are in a financial position to afford their rent, if they have rented previously they have maintained the property and paid their rent on time.


My references haven't passed on my income alone, what can I do? 


Don't panic! The referencing company will provide alternative suggestions on how your references can be completed, this could be through the use of a Guarantor or rent payment in advance. 


I've just moved in, where will I find emergency contact details if something goes wrong?


Head to https://www.porters-uk.com/tenants-information and you will find all emergency contact details as well as the maintenance reporting link for any non emergent issues. 


I want to leave the property I'm renting, what should I do? 


If you are in a fixed term period and want to leave then you will need permission from your Landlord to be released early from your contract, if they do not provide permission you are contracted until the end of your fixed term. If you are on a periodic contract we will need 30 days notice in writing (email) stating your intention to leave and the date you wish to leave. 


I've moved out of the property I was renting, what happens now?


This will be dependent on if you have provided evidence that your Welsh Water account has been settled and closed, if there are any issues that have been highlighted from our Move Out Report and if any deductions will need to be made from your deposit. We will keep you updated but please feel free to contact us if you have any concerns with the progress. 


What Our Clients Are Saying...



I wanted to say how very impressed I am with Porters services. Very efficient, quick responses and friendly, courteous and professional staff. I would thoroughly recommend Porters.  - Sally K

Read More